Re: Logging from ther kernel source

From: MWP (hirm@chariot.net.au)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 21:03:16 EST

Hi...
And thanks for all the responses.

> > Im doing my first wee bit of kernel hacking, and i would like to know what function/cmd i can use in the kernel c source that
allows
> > me to log some text to the syslog to help with debugging.
>
> surely you've read SOME kernel code to prepare!
> the answer is printk, of course. probably the single
> most commonly called kernel function (statically).
>
> > The file im looking at in particular is fib_frontend.c because of some weird iface routing problems with my PCs net connection.
>
> messing with the kernel is almost certainly a mistake,
> since the chances that you, and only you experience a bug
> is vanishingly small. there are tens of millions of linux
> boxes with no routing problems...

Well the problem has been around since I tried the 2.4.0-test3 Kernel and is still here in 2.4.0-test5-pre6.
I also reported the problem to the kernel list but with no replies.

> what routing problem do you have?

Using a dialup modem ISP connection, just before the message "local IP address: ....." is logged i get the error message:
"default route ioctl(SIOCADDRT): Network unreachable (101)"

Booting in the 2.2.16 kernel does not give me this error.

I am running:
RH6.1 (i386)
Kernel 2.4.0-test5-pre6
PPPD 2.4.0b4 (and have tried b1)