Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 14:03:58 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> Some time ago I offered to split <include/linux>
> into the published interface <include/linux> and the
> kernel-internal <include/kernel>.
> This still seems a reasonable idea to me.

It might not be a bad idea, if somebody just has the energy to really hunt
down the minimal set of stuff. The architecture-specific defines are the
nastiest problem: if this were to be done I would _not_ want anything
under <include/kernel> to ever include anything from <include/asm>: it
would be much better if <include/kernel> can live completely independently
(so that we can _prove_ that nobody can ever get polluted by somebody
editing the "regular" linux header files).

Also, it will _not_ fix libc5. I do not want to do anything like this
except if it truly cleans things up. Absolutely no ad-hoc cross-includes
to make old libraries happy.

                Linus