Re: Printing the messages through printk while using Xwindows.

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 14:20:38 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Russell King wrote:
> Note also that this will write in "text" mode onto a graphics
> mode framebuffer, which won't be very visible.

incorrect. The beauty of Linux framebuffer support is exactly the reason
why this won't happen, i.e. it will work just fine. The reason is that
virtual consoles in the presence of fb are still proper terminal devices
that have a concept of input/output queue canonical mode etc etc. So none
of the pixel/color stuff affects the old good time-honoured UNIX tradition
of terminals.

If this was not the case, nobody would be using Linux framebuffer support.
I.e. if using fb meant that I lose all the standard terminal handling
functions.

Regards,
Tigran