Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: clubneon (clubneon@clubneon.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 15:13:22 EST

On 28 Jul 2000, Stuart Lynne wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007280808460.73-100000@rc.priv.hereintown.net>,
> Chris Meadors <clubneon@hereintown.net> wrote:
> >
> >But the FHS also says you can't have things like /usr/apache. But I find
> >that most useful, as deleting one directory removes all traces of the
> >program. Large packages that would normally end up all over the place can
> >be contained (like X, which FHS does allow to have its own place under
> >/usr).
>
> You can do that in /opt or /usr/local if you like.

Just because so many (2 or 3) people have mentioned this to me I'll reply
to it shortly.

The problem I have with /opt is I'm not used to it yet. I'd have to put
it on it's own partition just like /usr, /home, and /var. I don't have
any feeling for how big /opt should be and I usually totally just forget
about it.

I'm building a new system now, I'm going to attempt to make use of /opt
for larger, self-contained packages. BUT /opt is going to be a symlink to
/usr/local (take that FHS). At least now I'll get a little more used to
using /opt.

Boy, I can't think of one thing to say that'll make this relevent to the
kernel.

Chris Meadors (at home)