lots of segmentation faults ... why ? (fwd)

From: Pablo De Napoli (pdenapo@mate.dm.uba.ar)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 15:19:03 EST

Pakage: kernel-source_2.2.12
version: 2.2.12 ,

( 2.2.14 or 2.0.36
 I have test all of them , and I have the same problem).

Hi friends of Linux!

I'm having a lot of segmentation faults. I suspect that something is wrong
with the virtual memory management.

I've deduced this since it doesn't seem to be asociated with any
particular task. It happens any time that I make something that needs a
lot of resources (like running X11 and open several programs like
Netscape, lyx ,...; or compiling a big program).

I got different kinds of messages:

Kernel Panic: Free List corrupted

cc got signal 11 : while compiling a big program like for example perl or
lyx (almost every time)

Oops !

One thing that I don't understand is that I have the same problem with
different versions of the kernel that I know to work (I have this problem
at work , but not at home : in each case I'm using a custom compiled
kernel).

It may happend that this problem could be caused not but the kernel itself
but by some daemond ?.

I'm running an Celeron (intel) pentium with 32M of RAM and 24M of swap
space.

Information that I'm sending to you: about just one Oops

Oops_decifrada: output of ksymoops
cpuinfo.txt: /proc/cpuinfo.txt
meminfo.txt: /proc/memifno.txt
ps.aux: ps -aux (so that you know which daemons where running)
dpkg.list: the list of debian packages that I've installed (dpkg --list)
dmesg.txt: dmesg output (kernel messages)

I know that most of this information has nothing to do , but I don't know
what might be relevant.

I'm not a kernel hacker , but I want to help.

Please help me to find out the cause of this problem.
Ask me for any information that you think might be relevant.
Thank you
                                Pablo De Napoli