Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 14:35:35 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Peter Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
> > > FHS also says that a distro should ship with nothing in the /usr/local
> > > tree.
> >
> > And I find it ridiculous. Yes, for FILES I agree - it's place to install
> > local files for system. But for directory stubs... Where the hell I must
> > put local perl packages ? I prefer /usr/local/lib/perl for architecture
> > specific-ones and /usr/local/share/perl . And I (as dstribuion creator)
> > even can configure perl to use this directories. But I CAN NOT (according
> > to FHS) create this directories. Gosh. So now I need to GUEES where I can
>
> You've missed the point of /usr/local . FHS says that a vendor can't put
> things in /usr/local; not that a sysadmin can't. If a vendor is shipping
> perl, /usr/lib/perl5 and /usr/bin/perl is _just fine_. By definition,
> that _isn't_ local.

You missed the point here. Yes, /usr/lib/perl is just fine. But what about
locally compiled modules ? You can download thing from CPAN, compile it
and install. It's simple: perl Makefile.PL ; make ; make install ...
It'll compile CPAN module and will install it ... where it'll install it ?
Currently it'll install it in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux
(arch-dependant files) or in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
(non-arch-dependant files). Emacs will search for additional packages in
/usr/share/emacs/20.7/site-lisp (and /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp) and so on.
And sysadmin can not change it easily: you need to recompile perl, emacs
or tcl. So instead of SINGLE place where all local stuff is stored
(/usr/local) you have LOCAL stuff scattered all over /usr :-( For C
libraries problem is solved: you can put .h files in /usr/local/include
and libraries in /usr/local/lib an your system compiler can find all
local stuff there. For other packages FHS offer no solution :-((