Re: 2.4 status page, lightly updated

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 07:40:52 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> NCR5380 isnt smp safe

Do that also include the sym53c8xx?

Yesterday I powered up my new server for the first time. It has two
motherboards with 2 processors on each board (thus the SMP). Both boards
are plugged into the same 3 channel RAID controller module (the third
channel goes to the array of disks). While I may try to play with the
Global File System in a bit, right now the RAID module just partitions the
drive array in half and presents one half to one board and half to the
other.

I was just messing around dd'ing /dev/zero over the various drives
presented to the boards. I found if I started a dd on one board and then
a second on the other the board that was started second would eventually
oops with a lost interupt.

Remember these boards aren't fighting over the same drive space. The only
thing I can figure is the first dd slows down the transfer rate enough
that the second gets its timing screwed up. But I don't know enough about
this part of the kernel to offer any real guesses.

(Oh, I'm also receiving a huge number of NMIs and LOCs, just about 1 for
every timer interrupt). But that might be unrelated, and probally needs
to go in another post.

Oh, one more thing, this was with 2.4.0-test5-pre3. I'll try again today
with the final test5, and maybe copy that oops by hand.

--
Two penguins were walking on an iceburg.  The first one said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo."  The second one said,