Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 16:08:00 EST

On 27 Jul 2000, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, Uli, I know you like overdesigning things.
>
> What you call "overdesigning" is what others call looking forward.
> For example, there are still people using the STREAMS stuff. This
> code should also export it's parameters.

NO.

That code should just DIE.

sysconf() isn't even important enough to overdesign for. Why really cares
whether _SC_STREAM_MAX gets the exact right value? I've never seen anybody
use it.

The way code gets added to the kernel is when somebody cares enough to
write it, and it looks good enough to add.

Code does NOT get added to the kernel just because somebody makes a big
deal of nothing.

                Linus