Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: Ulrich Drepper (drepper@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 12:03:28 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Uli, maybe you forgot about that "open source" thing?

I have no time to work on the kernel. You keep forgetting that
non-kernel related work also takes a tiny little bit of time to
perform.

> And btw, the kernel doesn't even _know_ many of the sysconf values. They
> depend on library implementation, and apparently even on things like the
> implementation of the "expr" binary. So "sysconf()" is not a kernel thing.

Nobody talks about a complete sysconf implementation. Only one which
exposese the kernel parameters. The libc will add the rest.

> A subset of those sysconf values are things that you should ask the
> kernel, but go look at what sysconf should return: it's definitely not a
> system call.

Of course. Just recently I needed the real value of NGROUPS_MA. How
should I get it? Also, fpathconf() is needed. And no, I'm not
misdirecting this. Their were in the past some tries to implement
this and you ignored them.