Re: Strange chmod behavior on 2.2.16 with write_inode()

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 18:26:37 EST

More on this problem -- here's someting weird. If I wait a few seconds
after typing 'chmod 444 *' on a directory of files, then I start seeing
write_inode() come through the vfs, however, if I do an 'ls -l' on the
directory immediately after I issue a chmod command, then the
write_inode() never seems to happen. It looks like write_inode() is
getting called by some sort of delayed process (who writes dirty inodes
back to disk). The changes don't show up changed right away after a
chmod call either.

I think I'll just implement notify_change() since the vfs.txt
information about relying on notify_change() to default to write_inode()
is obviously incorrect -- there's a hole somewhere where the inode
permissions can get lost.

:-)

Jeff