Notifiers in Linux 2.4.0-test2 and above

From: Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 17:13:02 EST

It seems that read/write locking was installed into the notifier subsystem in
Linux 2.4.0-test2 such that it is no longer possible to call
unregister_reboot_notifier while the reboot notifier itself is running. It
looks to me like a number of drivers were written to expect that this
unregister call could be made by the notifier itself. Alas, the system hangs
in unregister_reboot_notifier waiting for the notifier_lock to be released,
which will of course never occur.

Was this new behavior intended by the recent changes? It seems to me that
having a notifier de-register iself as its final act is quite reasonable, and
the notifier code should be corrected to support this. Would whoever is
responsible for this part of the kernel and the recent changes please
comment...

                Leonard