Re: Running 2.2 with >1 gig ram with Athlon

From: Charles Cazabon (linux@discworld.dyndns.org)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 17:11:27 EST

martin leisner <mleisner@eng.mc.xerox.com> wrote:
> Some guys a work want to use a 900 Mhz Athlon with 1.5 gig of ram for
> some chip design tools. We're running redhat 6.2 (2.2pl15).
>
> I never paid much attention to talk about such a powerful systems since
> I never used one until now ;-)
>
> When it had 3 256mbyte modules, I ran lmbench, and it paniced the
> machine (3 times running).
>
> We replaced the 256 mbyte ram with 512 mbyte modules (so the machine
> had 1.5 mbyte -- we had to trade with someone else).
>
> The bios seems to have a bug...it can't detect 512m modules (so it
> sees "768M".)
>
> I did a boot with
> mem=1200m
> to see what would happen...the kernel paniced.
>
> I did a boot with
> mem=200m
> and ran lmbench successfully...

Note that the Via KX133 and KT133 chipsets are specced to work with 3
PC100 DIMMs but only 2 PC133 DIMMs. You're most likely running the ragged
edge of signal stability with 3 PC133 modules, if that's what you're using.
As a test, go into the BIOS setup, adjust the memory to run at 100MHz only,
install the 3 256MB modules, and try again. If the kernel doesn't panic,
that's probably your reason.

Charles