Re: POSSIBLE BUG: 2 cases of Tulip IPX disconnection on wor

From: Info (5740@mail.ru)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 11:18:32 EST

Чтв, 27 Июл 2000, Petr Vandrovec написал:
> > > On Novell server. On server cmdline type
> > > 'set display watchdog logouts = on'. Though I'm not sure that this exist
> > > on NW3.12...
> >
> > Kh-gm once more... It's not easy even to check it. Our server loaded from
> > IDE disc, but works with SCSI disk, and IDE is not mounted. This is
> > iesy, but! Reload time of server is near 30 minutes... And all the company
>
> On SERVER cmdline. Not on DOS one. You should see ':_' on server console.
> Just type 'set display watchdog logouts = on' here. No offtime. It acts
> immediately, without any reboot.
Thanks. Tomorow I find the monitor and keyboard, connect them to my server,
and try it - because server usially works without monitor and keyboard.
They does not needed in daily use. Only one action is needed during 2,5
last ears - "server down", and this command entering to server by login on
dos from any workstations and entering "fconsole" command.
As your see, the server in non-programmer company is not look like server
in programmers companies...
> > If you do not know that your server has 'set' command - then there is
> > no surprise that that ncpfs does not work for you...
Petr, I'm not surprised. I am philosofical. Last november when I have some
free time I try to tune 2.2.13 to work with Novell by "scientific
poking" method. Fortunatelly, it was successful, and work for me
without knowlege about the "set" command. So I became to work with Linux.
If my poking will be unsuccessful that time (for example, with such
problems we discuss now) - I'l work with WinNT for the present time. And
I'l never feel that Linux is good. So I think not about me, but about
beginners as I last november. Who does not know about namespaces and
other thinnesses. Who need a product that can work (maybe, in not optimal,
but in workable mode) from the first installation. And if this
installations will successful - they bacame linuxoids. If not - they stay
wondozers. After some time some users begin to learn. But others will
upgrade their systems without any questions. And they will wait, that all
that works in old soft, will work in new soft without any additional
actions.

This is the thing that Linux as system needed in present time MORE THAN
EFFECTIVE WORK. Only when it happened, Windoz will die.

It's a real life. User have no time to learn "set" and other commands. He
have a lot of his own problems. Bill Gates understand this fact - so
Microsoft products is bad from programmer's point of view, but light to
user. Linux programmer's, as I see, are "purists". Maybe, some of them
does not feel that LINUX IS NOW ON QUALITIVE FRACTURE.
It was a product for programmers elite in paste - it became a work system
for mass user. It is two different states of software!!! And it is
different requirements and criteriums in both cases!

In the past it was normally to tune it in style you discribe and give
every user an individual lessons. In future - and very nearby - millions
of users will use Linux. And NOBODY of them will know not only what is the
"set" command, but what is IPX or IP protocol. Your feel the moment and
the tasks of moment?

>> 2.2.0.17 ncpd can kill itself if fork() after message comes in fails.
> It should not happen, but if you are not willing to look into your
> logs, you should at least update all software to latest versions.
 Tomottow I'l upgrade ncpfs