Re: Possible Solution for ATA Mess...

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 10:23:48 EST

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> Well, that could be the case in some scenarios but I think it is
>> more the industry doing it because they know that people aren't
>> causing a stir about it. Most likely, they are charging more
>> money for the drive anyway regardless of the jumper existence or
>> not, and then making the 45B for it anyways without including
>> it. Joe "sheep" just buys whatever, and they get away with it.
>
>> If joe sheep started demanding it though, the cost of the jumper
>> would get eaten pretty quick I think.
>
>For that we need new generation of ILOVEYOU with disk2brick embedded.
>I think we'll see this soon. Just wait :-)

I dearly hope that we do not see such. I don't want to see such
a program come out merely to show that we need to block the
hole. Anyone considering writing such, please, do not release
it. Releasing such a thing would be equivalent to blowing up an
abortion clinic and killing 400 innocent people just to protest
for "right to live".

I think this whole IDE discussion is really over now. Everyone
has decided for themselves what they think should be done. Also,
we know what is/isn't going to be done officially.

Lets just all let it go now, and move on. Anything that does end
up occuring can be dealt with as it happens...

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.