Re: 2.4.0-test4: Kernel panic: APIC ID 2 already used

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:02:15 EST

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Christian Iseli wrote:

> Boot done.
> ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
> ...changing IO-APIC physical APIC ID to 2 ...<0>Kernel panic: APIC ID 2 already used

 Please mail me a dump of your MP-table and the rest of APIC bits. You
should be able to get these from the kernel log using `dmesg -s 32768'
after a bootup. Use the "noapic" kernel parameter, to avoid a crash and
be able to get the log.

 I suspect your MP-table provides a bogus APIC ID for the I/O APIC and the
current ID available from the chip itself is unusable as it collides with
one of CPUs (the designer of your BIOS should be shot if that's true!). I
may prepare a workaround but I need to be sure this is really the case.