Re: BUG REPORT : IPX (Novell) uppercase convert error with

From: Info (5740@mail.ru)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 02:28:12 EST

In first part of letter it is concret answers to Petr. In the second it is some
general notes.

PART 1.

óÒÄ, 26 éÀÌ 2000, Petr Vandrovec ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> Yes, it is bug. But it is not bug in ncpfs, but on your server. You can
> workaround this by couple of ways:
>
> (1) disable 'Lowercase DOS filenames'
> (2) do not use OS/2 namespace (use NFS namespace instead)
> (3) fix your server's LCONFIG.SYS to contain CP866 and not CP437 uppercase
> table
Petr, I repead once more: I am not a programmer, I am project manager. I don't
know where LCONFIG.SYS placed and how to uninstall OS/2 namespace from server
and to replace it by NFS namespace. I have no time to learn Novell. And I
AFRAID to change anything in Novell because of many peoples in our company
works with it. And I have no reasons to pay money for programmer who know
Novell to correct this problem - users under Windows does not collide this
problem, and I desided it for himself by most fast way - by switching off
lowercasing.

About NFS. I don't want to use NFS in Novell server due to
security reasons.

About server's bug. As I understand, the problem is that
Novell OS/2 namespase does not support lower russian letters. But we need the
future of some russian letters for our work. So we had to install OS/2
namespace. It is an instruction to all users to use only upper russian letters,
but this is users - they periodically forgot about this. It's incorrect, but
it's work.

>Or getcall with Novell - can you open such files in Volkov
> Commander? I do not think so...
I try Volkov Commander under DOS. It is no problem to access theese files.
There are no problems under Windows, Norton and others.

PART 2

The question we discuss enlarges far upon only programming.
This is the principal question. From your programmer's point of view, all
software must be installed correctly. But in real life, in non-programmer's
companies this ideal is unattainable. Some parts of soft ALWAYS will install
incorrect, by principe "it's worfs - so, it's useable".

The question is not about my person and my server. Your explain personally for
me how to solve this problem (as I say, I do it a week ago by the configuring
the kernel without lowercasing and forgot for this problem in daily work).

But I think about thousands of other users of 2.4.0, who can collide with the
same problem and will swear on russian, swedish, japan or others mat. Your will
repead the explanations to all of them?

About 3.12. I don't know how many Novell 3.12 is in the world today. But
I know, for examle, that computer net of our russian parlament works on 3.12.
I think that 3.12 and other old novell soft will stay long time, because of
standard reaction of any chief of any company. When it's a offer to buy new
Novell instead of old: "Old Novell works? It's no reason to spell money for
new". This is my own position as a boss too: 3.12 works very good, and it's no
reasons for me to spend money or time to it's upgrading, until it is
ABSOLUTELY nesessary.

And it is a question about Linux in general.
Linux in past time looks as toy for programmers. Now it becames the real
concurrent to Windoz. It means that the structure of Linux users changes. There
are programmers and very-very advanced users in past. But now many of usial
users want to try Linux. For example, yesterday one of the asstants of Eugeny
Primakow (our former premier and one of biggest politics of Russia) sad to me
that he want to try Linux instead of Win98 for his daily work. This man isn't a
programmer at all, he is a diplomat. How you will explain to him about
namespaces and other programmer's things? He will try Linux, and if it will
not work, he returned to Windoz. And that's all.

One of my colleque says about Linux the such words: "The main peculiarity of
Linux is that Linux is like LandRover, Mercedes Gelandevagen, Hummer and
others. Like theese jeeps rides even on such roads where driving is unpossible,
so Linux works in conditions when Windoz crushes". It's THE MAIN avantage of
Linux in user's eyes: works anytime and anyvere, even the work is inpossible.

Your and your collegues al Linux kernel programmers carry a greate
responsibility for the preservation of this good quality of Linux. If it is a
bug in some type of processor - so, Linux must to do to correct the influence
of this bug (your know better than I that it is usial practice in kernels).
If it is some bug on external servers - so, Linux must have tools to ignore
this bug. And so on.

My user's aim is to inform your about detected problems of my
concret type of soft and hard, in that purpose that other users in future will
not collide them. Your right is to estimate this information and decide what
to do: to consider it or ignore, if my concret soft/hard configuration is very
specific.

P.S. Answer for the other letter about Tulip will soon

P.P.S. By the way, when I try to compile the kernel in first time, I switch on
all NLS in kernel, and gcc says to me about error in cp936 codepage. Because of
I don't need it, I swithed off it. But what is this error, I don't know.
Best regards,
George L. Afanassew,
senior progect manager
info@primakow.ru