Re: [broken] Re: [patch-2.4.0-test5-pre3] struct inode shortened

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 20:19:19 EST

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> 1. Make the name explicit: inode->i_union->bdev.
>
> 2. Change all the code that refers to the newly unioned fields.
> It should be clear from the name i_union that no code should
> read a field until it knows the type of the inode.
>
> 3. Do something similar for struct page. At least that would
> remove the ugly overloading of page->next_hash fields on the Sparc.

I hate unions that have to do it this way.

Unions are imho only acceptable when they implicitly know their own type.
The in-kernel example of this is the inode per-filesystem thing. An inode
has a filesystem-specific part, and there is no way any other filesystem
can access it except by a major bug somewhere.

Any union that needs code like

        if (xxx->type == yyy)..

is a design mistake.

I don't think you'll find all that many unions in Linux. And I don't think
we should add new ones..

                Linus