Re: weired NE2K ether problem - help!

From: Jun Sun (jsun@mvista.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 19:23:47 EST

Paul Gortmaker wrote:
 In 8390.h you should increase ei_debug from one to 4. Also add a

> #define VERBOSE_ERROR_DUMP
>
> which will give you detailed information as to how your packet
> transmission failed. That plus the driver detection messages might
> help me and others shed some more light on the issue.

That is exactly why this problem is so weired: there is no error
message! Anyhow I turned on debugging options as you suggested and here
is the output :

ne2k-pci.c:vpre-1.00e 5/27/99 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html
8390.c:v1.10cvs 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x100000, IRQ 27, 00:E0:29:4B:D5:0F.
IP-Config: Entered.
IP-Config: Opened eth0 (able=1)
BOOTP: XID=abe67b08
Sending BOOTP requests....<7>eth0: interrupt(isr=0x02).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
.<7>eth0: interrupt(isr=0x02).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
.<7>eth0: interrupt(isr=0x02).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).

eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
eth0: interrupt(isr=0x01).
 timed out!
IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.
IP-Config: Downing eth0
kmem_create: Forcing size word alignment - nfs_fh
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 02:00

> If you can manage a temporary alternative to NFS root you can also
> make use of ne2k-pci-diag.c (Diagnostics/EEPROM setup for PCI NE2000).

Hmm, that will be difficult. I am trying to port Linux to this board.
If I can get it there some other way, I will probably not try so hard to
get NFS boot working. :-)

Thanks for the reply.

Jun