RE: sticky bit on files?

From: jeremy brand (jeremy@nirvani.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 18:05:48 EST

Vishi,

Thanks for you message. Are you sure about your statement?

Here is why I ask. You basically quoted me chmod(1). But, I have also
found references that say that the kernel doesn't do what the sticky bit
was originally intended to:

quoted from:
chmod(1)
-- snip --
save program text on swap device (t),
-- snip --

quoted from:
http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/1998.09/msg00194.html
-- snip --
> What the heck is a sticky bit?

blah..
blah..

Eventually, when paged virtual memory became standard, kernels ignored the
sticky bit on files, but the name remained for the use of the bit on
directories.
-- snip --

I was wondering if anyone knows "for sure" (TM) if linux 2.2 does infact
keep the file in memory when the sticky bit is set. Being that the man
page for chmod and this list serv message are contradictory, that is why I
asked.

Thanks,
-jeremy brand

 GnuPG Fingerprint: 9F5E 95E0 1CC2 E054 84EA 6099 8ACD 9DBA D2C0 5EA9
 GnuPG Public Key: http://www.nirvani.net/pgp-key