Can't Build 2.2.16-20 on Toshiba 4300 Notebook

From: Paul Klissner (paul@wildhorses.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 13:11:27 EST

(Sleep-deprived, I mistakenly mis-posted this as "2.2.12-20", earlier)

I'm running RedHat 6.1 (2.2.16-20) off the CD with upgraded XFree86
and S3 savage\IX patch.

The problem is no matter how I configure or try to build a new
version of the kernel, it crashes in kmem_grow_cache when I boot,
I haven't found any setting (xconfg) that seem to work, even though
I've successfully built and used the linux kernel on other computers
before.

Any ideas why this may be happening? Can anyone point
me in the right direction? Give me ideas about settings?
Things to check. I'm getting pretty desperate.

Thanks,
Paul