POSSIBLE BUG: 2 cases of Tulip IPX disconnection on work

From: Info (5740@mail.ru)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 09:33:18 EST

On 2.4.0-test4-pre3 it was Tulip OPX disconnection in two various and different
situations.
 I have old 10Mbps-only CNet CN935E cards (DEC 214x
chipset) to connect my linux workstation with novell server. The same card is
on server side. Hub is 10base-T only Cnet 8816 TPC.
 Novell volume mounted constantly on boot time by
special script. Linux is RedHat 6.2 +KDE. There is no way to login into my
Linux workstation without of successful mounting Novell volume.

Case 1.
I used Star Office, netscape and so other text editors. It was some crushes of
Star office, when it works with large files. But I does not go to network
novell volume at all.
At one moment I need some file from novell server and detected loosing
connection with Novell server. Ncpfs' slist does not
display any servers in network, in spite of this server displayed normally in
boot time and mounting of novell volume was successful.

Case 2.
I compiled the kernel and in parallel worked with Klyx for the
text writing of local file. On the middle of the work I needed novell's
file, but novell server rendered disconnected.

Both cases happened on maximum processor busy.

I have such effect in the october 1999 when tuned old tulip (from 2.2.13) and
it was established new 10/100Mbps CNet CN 100TX card on my workstation and
10Mbps CN 935E card on server. I found that Tulip tried to switch the regim
from 10Mbps to 100Mbps, but it was no support of this speed on server side, and
connection breakes off. When I change CN 100TX to CN935E on workstation, the
stability became and I have no events of connection breake during november 1999
with 12-hour workday and many various events in workstations, including various
crashes. I don't know why the event with the similar simptoms took place now: I
am user, not programmer.