Re: Async disk i/o in Linux

From: Stephen Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 11:21:54 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:06:44PM +0200, Ramon Garcia Fernandez wrote:

> "Other 2.4 kernel advances TUX uses are: async networking and disk IO,"
>
> Does this mean that the kernel 2.4 supports fcntl/sigio with regular
> files? Or it supports select with them?

The kernel has async block device and file IO support already --- it
uses that sort of thing for file readahead, for example. There isn't
an exported async IO api for user applications yet, although we're
working on one. Kernel internal modules such as TUX can access the
async properties of the page cache if they want to.

Cheers,
 Stephen