Re: Direct access to hardware

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 08:18:35 EST

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > To get what you are asking for would give a kernel source of a gigabyte or
> > so (just add up all the funny things you might want to send to a random
> > IDE, SCSI, FireWire, USB, ... device, consider that downloadable firmware
> > is becomming the norm, and devices are proliferating like never before),
> > and _that_ doesn't scale at all.
>
> A gigabyte? Hardly. It's an if statement we need, that's all. OK, a couple
> of if statements per subsystem will add up to quite a few Kb - but that'll
> hardly break the bank.

        That depends, are you talking about just filtering the known 'bad'
things, or filtering down to where only valid commands (with valid data
mind you, which is a cute thing to try and determine in kernel space) work?

        Not that it really matter much, both lead to the dark side and loads
of cruft that will never be cleaned out, even once the hardware is fixed and
such filtering of 'invalid' commands with 'invalid' data, or valid commands
with 'invalid' data is useless.

                Stephen