Re: ATA-6 Draft Proposal Changes for "vender-unique".

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 16:40:41 EST

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 02:09:50PM -0700, Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> wrote:

> Upon a more exact definintion, I will request a formal NCITS number.

quite frankly, why is all this necessary? Why are ata standards that much
different from any other standards?

> states: That which is not in the standard is not part of the standard.

Exactly. Gcc can do ansi-c, but that doesn't mean it is limited to it. The
german telecom adheres to ets-300-102 (euro-isdn), but of course this does
not mean that they are forced to disallow any other protocol on their
lines. The linux kernel can fully adhere to an ata stnadrad and _still_ be
able to send vendor-specific commands.

So why must an ata standard try to regulate something that simply is
outside of it's scope?

Everything you said so far boiled down basically to: "if you can send
non-standard commands using the kernel, the kernel is not ata compliant".

This sounds so 120% counter-productive, inhibiting *any* further
development (for example, that would mean that an ata-3 drive is
automatically incompatible to ata-2 or any earlier standard).

*puzzled*

and I thought the t13 people made slightly unconventional but still sane
standards ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|