2.2.16 SMP breaks 3c59x.c?

From: William A. Gladstone (wgladstone@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 15:51:30 EST

Hello,

        I have found that, with my current setup, compiling an SMP kernel
breaks the ethernet driver (3c59x.c) for my card. I have a dual celeron
400 on a abit BP6 motherboard with a 3com Vortex ethernet (more hardware
information below). I am running the current debain frozen distribution.

        I have just compiled 2.2.16 with and without SMP (two seperate
source trees, no patches). I have attached both config files (config-smp
and config-nosmp) and the only difference between them is that I flagged
smp in one and not the other. I have also attached the output of dmesg
from both smp and non-smp configurations.

        The ethernet driver, under the smp configuration, does not give
any errors or warnings at boot. I can insmod the module fine, and even
bring up eth0 okay with ifconfig (by hand and via debian scripts). The
routes are the exact same as without SMP, but I get zero response from
anything outside of my box. No error messages either (on STDERR or
syslog).

        Unfortunately, I do not know what to try next. Please let me know
what I can send the list to help figure this out (I have logged the makes
and am willing to do try any reasonable suggestions). Also, please let me
know if I am making a foolish mistake somewhere.

Thank you for your time,

--Will Gladstone

Hardware:

        dual celeron 400mhz
        abit BP6 motherboard
        3com vortex ethernet (3c595-TX Fast Etherlink PCI)
        matrox millenium
        27GB maxtor diamondmax
        creative labs ISA soundblaster 16