IDE driver porting problems

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 11:14:38 EST

Hi,

I'm porting the Linux IDE driver to my StrongARM board (so it's actually
the ARM IDE derivative), but I have some problems getting the thing going.
There is actually _something_ detected, because without IDE device, the
driver complains about not finding anything at all. If I use an IDE
device, the driver complains with:

  hda: probing with STATUS(0xa0) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x52)
  hda: probing with STATUS(0xa1) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x51)
  hda: no response (status = 0xa1), resetting drive
  hda: probing with STATUS(0x08) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xd0)
  hda: no response (status = 0xa1)

>From the ATA-3 specs I figured out that this basically means that there
are a lot of errors, sto the amount that I begin to suspect that there is
something wrong with the interface itself (which is just a CPLD and some
line drivers).

My question is actually: what's the general idea behind the drive probes?
Write some magic values to the device and see if some other magic value
can be read back?

Erik

PS: Is there some newer ATA documentation, preferably in pdf? I only found
    a working draft of the ATA-3 specs in Word format (ouch!)

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/