2.2.16 crashes on ES40 (with spinlock messages...)

From: Andrew Pochinsky (avp@honti.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 11:05:23 EST

Hi,

Some time ago I posted a message to this list about misterious crashes
on Alpha ES40. Peter Rival, Pat O'Rourke and Michal Jaegermann made
some interesting suggestions for a possible cause. Unfortunately, I
was not able to fix the problem. This time, however, our user built
the code which reliably crashes the system after a few second run.
Each crash is accompanied by a 'spinlock ... stuck' message repeated
for every processor in the system. Once all the processors are stuck,
the system goes catatonic. To check that the problem is not related to
some flaky hardware, I rebooted the same kernel with nosmp flag. The
problem is gone (of course, the machine now runs four times slower ;(

--andrew

P.S. The tarball of the executable could be found at
<ftp://ftp.lns.mit.edu/pub/avp/smp-crash.tar.gz>. Simply start runme
and wait.