Re: T13 SPEC and how to READ IT......

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 08:16:20 EST

Hi Mark!

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Mark Gray wrote:

> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> writes:
> [snip]
> > I really cannot see anything wrong with a jumper on the drive that is
> > default uninstalled and will only allow firmware upgrades and other
> > vendor-specific commands when set? That's the safe and politically
> > correct way IMHO.
>
> The problem here is that the profit margin on a Hard Disk is blown
> away every time a Window$ user has to call support in order to be
> talked through a problem. The cost of the call and the technicians
> time far outweigh the parts and assembly cost for one more jumper.

Users of this kind are not supposed to update their drives' firmware
without severe and urgent need anyhow. And if they need to, the vendor
will have to provide a printable documentation and fool-proof boot
floppy with update software anyhow.

By the way, this boot floppy could use a stripped-down linux-on-a-disk
software... :-)