Re: T13 SPEC and how to READ IT......

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 08:27:44 EST

Hi Stephen!

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Default the jumper in the other direction then. Then those
> that are clueful can protect themselves if they feel it neccessary
> and the rest don't have to worry about it. Of course, the first
> time a virus comes through and blows away everything the vendors may
> perhaps change their mind. Of course, this hasn't happened in any
> of the many years this ability has been around so I'm not sure there
> is exactly much cause for alarm.

A virus that would not reveal its nature is rather pointless, and it
took quite some time until CIH showed up, but I'm pretty sure that an
E-Mail or some other virus will show up that strides to grind the disk
into pieces. Lusers don't need to update disk drive firmware,
particularly not without removing or setting Jumpers.

Ever considered why now there are DualBIOS and the like? To keep things
steady with frequent BIOS flashes, have live backups in case flashing
goes wrong.

Impending support costs for firmware updates may improve firmware
quality BEFORE delivery - at least for some manufacturers.