Re: [linuxce-devel] CRAMFS

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@ucw.cz)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 17:38:02 EST

Hi!

> >It would be extremely good to have cramfs -- mips executables tend to
> >pack a lot. Unfortunately, crams has some problems: it does not even
> >see signature. It can't be endianity because mipsel has same as
> >intel. I'm puzzled. Maybe structure alignments are wrong?
>
> There are two problems related to cramfs that come to mind:
>
> 1. Changing the block size of the ramdisk device deletes
> its contents (kernel deficiency). The ramdisk starts with a
> block size of 1kB and cramfs attempts to set it to 4kB.
>
> 2. cramfs calls bforget() on the pages that it reads, which,
> in the case of the ramdisk device, causes them to be lost
> (another kernel deficiency).
>
> I have fixed both of these, and I believe we are the only site
> in the world currently using cramfs for an initial ramdisk. I can
> make a patch for you in the morning if you like, or you can FTP

It would be nice to provide patch. Mail it to
linuxce-devel@linuxce.org [oops, this was on linuxce ;-)], they will
be surely interested. [Is there any reason such patch does not go to
linus? It fixes real bug in my eyes.]

> ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/adam/buffer.c for a copy of our
> linux-2.4.0-test5-pre4/fs/buffer.c file, which I think is the only
> effected file (but I can check this after I have gotten some sleep).

                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org