bug ? raid5 inconsistency !

From: Willy Tarreau (willy@novworld.Novecom.Fr)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 04:36:09 EST

Hi all,

  this night, my NFS server partially stopped working. One of its soft raid5
arrays gave many error messages when trying to access it and all involved
processes stayed in D state. So I rebooted the server and the raid array
refused to be set up because I have 3 different time stamps on my 3 disks !!!

I don't know how this is possible, and I don't know what to do. I've tried
to manually change a timestamp, but the raid superblock is after 2G and my
dd can't seek to it (and I can't remember where I found one which uses
llseek). So before destroying it totally, I'd like to know if there's a
good method to recover from sort of these problems, because if not, I wonder
if finally raid5 is such solid :-/

for info, I'm using a 2.2.17pre11 kernel with ingo's raid-2.2.16, reiserfs
3.5.23 and other stuff so I admit this can come from my kernel, but I still
don't understand how !

Thanks for your help, I'd like to avoid to restore a one week backup.

Willy