Re: isdn driver (direct line access without using ttyI)

From: Pauline Middelink (middelink@polyware.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:34:03 EST

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 around 23:16:29 +0200, Henner Eisen wrote:

> Pauline> If I make another suggestion, what about a nice ioctl for
> Pauline> access to the control bus on ISDN?
>
> Something like this is definitly desirable. It would be a good idea
> anyway to make the interface to the isdn hardware at the physical layer
> more visible.

But propery encapsulated, i'm not in favour of bitbanging on the
control lines to get a message across...

> Maybe an isdn adapter should appear as a set of linux network
> interfaces (one for the D-channel, and one for each B-channel) where
> some device-specific ioctl()'s could be provided to control the physical
> layer state. That way, the whole isdn protocol stack could access the
> isdn hardware by the same manner as any other linux network protocol
> (no longer a need for ugly or esotheric isdn-specific interfaces).
>
> Doing so would provide the raw b-channel access as a by-product for free:
> If the B-channel was exported as a linux network interface, you could read()
> raw B-channel data from a SOCK_PACKET socket independently of the D-channel
> Q.931 connection state.

I'm not sure you need raw (tranparent) B channel access all the time.
The concept of getting data from a non-connected channel is severly
flawed, there /is/ no data, no dial tone, no nothing.
So if you absolutly insist on generating audiable signaling tones
one either must generate them in the HL driver, or at the userland
interface itself.

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink