Filesystem date 7 hours ahead of system clock

From: Rick Stevens (rstevens@publichost.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:04:00 EST

This is weird. When I touch a file, the timestamp on the file is
7 hours ahead of the system time (I'm in the US/Pacific time zone,
which is UTC -0700):

    [root@srv01 /root]# date
    Thu Jul 13 13:57:03 PDT 2000
    [root@srv01 /root]# touch fred
    [root@srv01 /root]# ls -l fred
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 13 20:57 fred

Both the system and hardware clocks are set to the current local time
and correct timezone (PDT).

So, being the stupid person I am, I must ask a couple of questions.
First, just how the devil does the filesystem forget about the date
offset? And the second question: How do I fix it?

I need an answer fairly quickly, so feel free to call/email directly.
This is wreaking havoc with one of my customers' databases.

- Rick Stevens, CTO, PublicHost, Inc. rstevens@publichost.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice) http://www.publichost.com -
- -
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -
- (Rick's corollary: The above doesn't hold for filesystem dates) -