Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 13:58:08 EST

Followup to: <20000711141215.A16985@nemesis.ncsl.nist.gov>
By author: Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Read better. "would it be working or non-working". Non-working is ok
> if both write(/dev/hda) and write(/dev/hda1) are non-working, because
> it means a special mechanism is needed no matter what to write the
> boot sector. It's the "it works thru /dev/hda1, it doesn't thru
> /dev/hda" that is wrong.

It's somewhat unfortunate, but it's not that big of a deal. To
summarize, you can find the appropriate partition with looking at the
start field of HDIO_GETGEO; use /proc/partitions if you need to
actively look through the list of partitions for that device.

Yes, it's a bit hacky, but so is touching the mounted filesystem at
all.

In the 2.5 series we should fix this, though.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt