Crash with 2.2.16

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 19:09:38 EST

I've been using 2.2.14 for ages. I just upgraded to 2.2.16 a few
days ago using an identical .config, and after a day or so
uptime, I got a black screen in X with staircase patterns of
random color at the bottom of the screen.

No hardware has changed in the machine, and no software has been
changed other than the kernel.

No errors or Oops at all were reported to the console, and
nothing to the logs either. I've ruled out hardware problems via
various testing, and can't see anything other than a kernel bug
possibility.

I realize that this report is not very useful since there is
no hard info to deal with, however it is all I have to give.

Any idea how close 2.2.17 is to being released?

I've fallen back to 2.2.14 for the time being.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.