Re: POWER Port

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 17:13:19 EST

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Sarah Nordstrom wrote:

> Just wanted to let anyone who was interested in the POWER port, that
> i've pretty much let it drop, due to a lack of documentation
> available. Everyone had told me that, but i wanted to see what i
> could do. The documentation is just plain not available for any
> opensource project at this time, and it doesn't look like IBM's
> planning on making it so, as it's a dead platform really.
>
> Ohwell, i've got an HP PA-RISC 735/99 i'm going to get Linux on now,
> and mabye make some contributions to that port ;o)

Before dismissing this idea, have a look at

http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/rs6k/

where this topic has been discussed before. Some work has already been
done. At least the SCSI-drivers and network-adapters are pretty much
the same as the x86 MCA counterparts, and think there are quite some
other hardware that is similar too.

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </