SCSI adapter problems

From: Frode Tenneboe (ft@edh.ericsson.se)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 05:47:41 EST

I have to SCSI adapters installed in my ix86 machine; Adaptec
AHA-2940A Ultra SCSI and DPT PM2144UW. Both have two units each
(respectively: disk and zip; tape and cdrom).

For the 2.2.14 kernel I have some problem in automatically loading
the aic7xxx module. I have to do a 'insmod aic7xxx' manually. The
eata module loads fine.

/etc/conf.modules:
alias scsi_hostadapter eata
alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter2 aic7xxx

Changing this order will hang the machine - the eata module MUST
be loaded first. However, this is not a major problem as I can always
add this somewhere in the rc-files.

On 2.2.15, 2.2.16 and 2.4.0-test1 & 2 the eata module also fails
to be loaded automatically. However, if I compile it in it works
as before.

These problems appears to be related. Should it be like this?

Regards,
 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø           | email: ft@edh.ericsson.se      ^
| Ericsson Radar AS.      | Isebakkeveien 49               |