Re: 2.2.16 locked up (VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for ... )

From: Jason Collins (jcollins@valinux.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 01:54:21 EST

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Derek Martin wrote:

> Today, Bob Lorenzini gleaned this insight:
>
> > On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> > > Jul 9 12:40:11 grok inetd[646]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> > >

> > I don't think this is a kernel issue but I'm also finding this message
> > in my log every 10 min. (Linus-2.2.16) I assumed this was a bind configure
> > problem perhaps brought on by using linuxconf but now I'm not so sure as
> > I can see no problem. Any ideas where I should look?
> > When I get to the office tomorrow I will revert to .15 just in case.
>

> It's probably not a kernel problem. It looks like you have inetd trying
> to listen to a port that a standalone daemon is already listening to. In
> this case, bind is a system call, and has nothing to do with BIND (named),
> which doesn't run out of inetd anyway.
>
> auth/tcp is the service associated with the annoying identd daemon, so
> you've probably got a bunch of in.identd processes hanging around.

All these processes lying around eating memory may be what causes the
do_try_to_free_pages phenomenon. Yes, there's something wrong with his
configuration, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of something being
wrong with his system.

This phenomenon has been witnessed by myself and Chip Salzenberg, I
believe he posted something relevant to this a few days ago. Since
2.2.16, my run-in test software (VA-CTCS, otherwise known as Cerberus)
can cause this message to appear within 2 minutes of crunching on a box.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs

I think Chip found a combination of experimental patches that makes it go
away, see his posting a couple days ago. The pausing he mentioned was
accompanied by the same message this person has seen.

Jason T. Collins
Software Engineer
VA Linux Systems