Re: [2.4.0pre3-6] Compilation failure with APM

From: Stephen Rothwell (sfr@linuxcare.com.au)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 19:28:10 EST

> > {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> > {standard input}:253: Warning: Indirect lcall without `*'
> > {standard input}:330: Warning: Indirect lcall without `*'
> > make[2]: *** [apm.o] Error 1
> >
> > Commenting it out seemed to compile fine.
>
> Commenting it out will mean APM doesnt work, although the box will probably
> not do anything like crash, just not do APM.
>
> Remove the -Werror option instead

It is not the aaembler warning that cause the compiler to report an error.
Someone else pointed out that apm_setup is not needed if apm is compiled
as a module and should be ifdef'd out.

Indeed, ifdef'ing out the code that causes the above warnings would make the
apm driver stop doing anything ...

[The assembelr warnings come from the newer binutils, but if you fix this,
then the older binutils will fail to build apm at all. Has the required
binutils for 2.4.x been updated enough so that I can fix this?]

Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@linuxcare.com