Re: GPL and Linux kernel related question...

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 11:55:44 EST

pavel@suse.cz said:
> It would be nice to explicitly list parts of world where patent
> applies.

I don't know, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care.

I live in the Free World where software patents are explicitly illegal.

I am not interested in keeping up with which countries allow such insanity,
or wherever some tinpot dictatorship declares certain usage of wellknown
algorithms to be illegal.

Sorry, but this kind of insanity depresses me. It's GPL'd code. If you live
in a sane country you're permitted to do what you like with it. If you
live in the USA you're permitted to copy, modify and distribute it but you
may not be permitted to use it - but that's fine because the GPL doesn't
say you have to be allowed to use it.

I'm sure there are countries where you're not allowed to copy it because
it's a fairly safe bet that I stuck an obscenity into a comment somewhere -
does that mean we shouldn't allow it to be GPL'd at all?

--
dwmw2