Re: Poor TCP speed in 2.2.16

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 21:59:37 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Seems, ppp is really broken in 2.2.16 and frames
> are lost at your machine. Did you use earlier 2.2 kernels?

I've observed mysterious behaviour from 2.2.14's bsd_comp when connected
to $LARGE_NETWORKING_VENDOR's dial access gateway. After 30-60 minutes
use, it started to drop packets, and it seemed to be based on byte
intervals.

So a `ping -s64 remotehost' would drop every fourth packet. `ping -s128
remotehost' would drop every second packet, etc. The packets were
dropped locally.

After several days swearing at this I disabled bsd_comp and all was
sweetness and light.