Re: OOM in 2.2.14

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 12:01:42 EST

On 8 Jul 2000, Nick Holloway wrote:

>dbronaugh@linuxhelp.bc.ca (David Bronaugh) writes:
>> There should be a userland daemon to track free memory and, if it falls
>> below a critical level, add more swap.
>
>This suggestion comes up about once a year, and I have some code that
>implements such as "swap daemon". I must admit it is nearly two years
>since the last mention.
>
>Have a look for "swapd" available from
>
> http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/download/

Thanks, I'll check it out..

>The original code was written in 1993, and released in 1994 (on the
>next discussion). Minor tweaks have happened, but nothing major.
>I have never used it. A few have.
>
>If this really were the right approach, it would have become more widely
>adopted, with a little more kernel support.

100% agreed, nonetheless, I'm sure it is a useful program, or at
least a good start at what I want to implement.

Thanks,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now! - Anonymous Coward