Re: [offtopic] Re: Patented algorithms in kernel

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 12:00:08 EST

Pavel,

You really need to talk to one of the Suse attorneys to get the answers
you really want. We've done a lot of patents here over the years, and
you need to consult a legal professional who really understands US
patent law. It's complicated.

The typical procedure is:

1. Identify patents you may infringe with your project.
2. Have a patent lawyer review the patent "claims" to see if any
methods you will use will be identical to their methods decribed in the
patent and could infringe. If any do consult with the patent attorney
about alternate methods that do not infringe.
3. Review past litigation claims the patent holders may have brought
against infringing parties to determine have narrow or broad their
patent claims have been interpreted by the US Courts.
4. Review challenges to the patent claims filed with the USPTO by other
patent atttorneys. Under US patent law, there's concept known as
"clustering" (not the computer flavor). Clustering is a "trash patent"
strategy where US companies will attempt to create several related
"trash" patents in any attempt to protect a central patent by closing
off alternate methods described in the patent claims that would allow
someone to circumvent the patent claims by using alternate methods.
Most US companies use this strategy so you end up finding a way around a
patent only to dicsover they have patented some alternate method you
could have used in place of the original patent claim -- very sneaky
stuff.
5. Perform a "prior art" search to identify examples of the patent that
may have been used in the industry and predated the patent being issued
(if you can show prior art, under US law, the USPTO is required to
invalidate any claims in the patent if prior art exists for these
claims).
6. Have periodic design reviews with the patent attorney to review
method areas where the code may infringe.
7. Don't publish any code anywhere until the attorney's are satisfied
with a fair degree of certainty all the infringement areas have been
covered.
8. Anytime you are dealing with dancing around or replicating patented
methods, there is a danger of litigation by the patent holders. Be
prepared to litigate and have legal resources available after you post
the code -- they may come after you even if you did not infringe just to
see if they can get something.

:-)

Jeff