Re: UART support 2.2 + PCMCIA.

From: Roger Gammans (roger@vger.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 08:24:45 EST

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 10:31:39AM +0100, Roger Gammans wrote:
> for some time and have finally found an available PCMCIA serial device.
>
> However it is based on the 16C950 UART and ideally I'd like to

Ok, I've rxed the device and it looks like some driver debugging is
in order. [This is the brainboxes card btw ,{www.brainboxes.com}]

The 2.4 behaviour is that it is found by the pcmcia later on
insertion and allocates/finds its irq + i/o. serail.c
detects the uart + irq also.

But in operation no irq's are received, data does come in
an out the UART _slowly_ , as if serial.c as fallen-back to
polled operation.
{Interestingly enough 2.2 wouldn't allocate the irq at all,
 even though my modem works fine! }

2.4 doesn't see the second port. {Neither does 2.2 but if
i read the pcmcia code correctly setup is aborted after the
RequestIRQ() fails}.

I've got a contact name at the manufacturer I can talk to
on Monday about getting this sorted, so I will work on the drivers
then if I can. However in the meantime does anyone know any tricks
I could play, if I could resurrect the card today I would be v.
_grateful_.
I willing to concentrate on 2.4 since I guess that will be the
path of least resistance, what with correct uart support and
intergated pcmcia stuff.

More info, testing etc on request.

TTFN

--