Re: tools to repair damaged /dev/hda1 boot record

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 17:50:57 EST

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 09:33:20PM -0400, afei@jhu.edu wrote:

[...]

    My question is: is there any tools under Linux that can automatically
    repair such kinda of disk failure and recover the windows98 system
    (someone needs it to send email coz I got a motorola soft modem). I know I
    can do it by "dd" and partition table correction. Just wonder if there is
    such a cool software that does the job already.

I don't think so -- doesn't w2k do bad thing to bootsectors if your
not careful?

    P.S. any bios function call C library available for Linux? That way, I
    might just write code myself to do it? Or do I have to start from assembly
    code? :-\

BIOS functions are not available -- and you don't need assembly.
Under linux, you open the device and seek/read/write like any file.

Check out the source code to fdisk or something.

  --cw