Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 17:10:29 EST

Followup to: <200007010159.e611xNS21924@vindaloo.ras.ucalgary.ca>
By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > I am keen to know because knfsd uses jiffies to report thread usage
> > stats (the "th" line in /proc/net/rpc/nfsd) and I would like to
> > present those numbers in a way that is not dependant on the value of
> > HZ. Ofcourse I could choose to report them in milliseconds, but if
> > there is a standard "user-space HZ", it would be best to use that.
>
> I think Linus favoured reporting stuff in real units.

It's the only thing that makes sense. The "user mode HZ" should be
considered a backwards compatibility kluge, not to be used for new
interfaces.

autofs, for example, has an ioctl() to set a timer. It uses real
units (seconds), and converts it to jiffies internally.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt