Re: Your IDE command stuff (was Re: OT: IDE controlers)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 12:01:49 EST

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> Ach, Andre - not so negative!

Your call Andries.

> Concerning the hardware, I was a bit interested in playing with
> it, just like you are. But being just a random Linux hacker I
> never considered asking Castlewood; instead I asked some well-known
> Linux company - in vain. Still, the conclusion cannot be that we
> mustnt cooperate with this Linux company anymore.

Andries, it my task to find hardware and create the support, before people
ask for it. Just like Ultra ATA/100 (and soon ATA-Serial), I request and
obtain access to the industry and create the support during quiet times.
Upon the press release of new product, I submit to Linux the support
before customers of Linux and/or the hardware vender can purchase the
product. There is nothing worse than playing catch-up with someone
chanting, "we is the support for XXXX!".

I sign NDA's for Linux in order to work with companies to help them
determine which is IP and which is general knowledge. I have enough NDA's
on behalf of Linux to heat my house in the winters. I only asked for a
sample demo unit for 30-days. I offered to drive to Pleasanton from
Concord to pick it up and spend a few hours answering questions and
concerns about Linux for FREE. Since I am fully funded, I write the time
off as Linux Advocate.

My point is that I go out of my way to expose myself legally and to
assist companies into the Linux community. I know for a fact that they
had to have send product to MS for certification. I can call a new friend
in Microsoft to ask they did and when, provide that there are no legal
issues, I will get an answer.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy