Re: Problem (only on Linux) with SCSI Disk after installation of Windows 2000

From: Dietmar Schnabel (dietmar.schnabel@lisec.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 02:39:12 EST

Hello Marc

No -- I think you got confused because the system shows 2 CD-ROMS...
I really have 2 CD-Roms and my hard disk missing hardiest has ID 3!

I know that i have a working hardiest on /dev/sda (and i can also access
it)

(scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: IMS Model: CDD2000/00 Rev: 1.26
  Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0

The adaptec controller gets really confused here!!!

It find's something on ID 3 but shows afterwards ID 4 which must be a
bug in the driver anyway. It should at least complain that this device
cannot be used or something!!!

But non of my kernels found it anyway. (And I even used older 2.0.36
kernels ...)

The ID of the hard disk I am missing is '3' and this hard disk is
(partly) shown on the adaptec configuration. (/dev/sdb)

It contains a SUSE + 1 Redhat and a Mandrake system. The disk has a size
of '4 GB'.

Here the original listing (from my first posting on the kernel mailing
list)

(scsi0:0:3:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL ST4.3S Rev: 0F04
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision:
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0

I have taken out the confusing 'date/time' entries from
/var/log/messages.

And no I am not a beginner in Linux. I am using it since 1993 and
normally know what I am doing there. (But I must admit I'm not a kernel
hacker.) But at least a little postgres and kde hacking..

I think this should really go to the right persons/hackers as for me it
looks like a bug in Windows 2000 (I assume it's not a feature!!!)

It was really I installed Windows 2000 and after the first boot I tried
again to access my linux partitions (I did even touch this hard disk
during installation / but it was not disconnected!)

and after the install the hardiest disappeared from the system
configuration. And i am sure it's not a hardware fault as it works in
Windows, NT, W2K and with the BIOS!

fdisk /mbr from DOS did not help (i removed all other drives) -- i
thought this may restore some needed information for linux.

fdisk normal with installing a dos partition did not help

fdisk from linux is not possible as the partition '/dev/sdb' is not
visible.

After the problem started i checked also cables, reconnected them,
installed this drive as only SCSI drive... All this did not help.

Dietmar

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Dietmar Schnabel wrote:

> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: IBM Model: DPES-31080 Rev: S31K
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

A SCSI hard disk, seen by Linux as /dev/sda

> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
> Vendor: IMS Model: CDD2000/00 Rev: 1.26
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: CD-ROM XM-5401TA Rev: 3605
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Which one of these CD ROMs is your hard drive ? :)