Re: IDE hotplug

From: Ian Soboroff (ian@cs.umbc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 17:01:53 EST

Many thanks for all the tips I received for this... it works! I built
a new kernel with

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m

and built an initrd with modules ide-mod, ide-probe, and ide-disk (all
i need to get to the root partition on /dev/hda, nothing more). (note
to those coming in late: this is for 2.2.x; 2.[34] might have
different module names.)

After booting up with the CD detached, I plugged in the CD and did
'rmmod ide-probe; modprobe ide-probe'. It found the drive and worked
perfectly.

The only strangeness I'm having now is, the soundcard (nm256) makes
this horrible <blaaat> noise when I start Enlightenment, with many
NM256: Sound playback pointer invalid!
messages in the syslog. It clears up once E is loaded.

ian

--
----
Ian Soboroff                                       ian@cs.umbc.edu