Re: test1-ac22-classzone performance

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 15:04:15 EST

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

>Ahh, but we don't have to stall. We just queue some blocks for

I agree and that's why I removed it ;). The point is that ll_rw_block
_will_ stall if there's somebody flooding writes to disk because there
won't be any request available immediatly. Not to mention the
wait_on_buffer().

ll_rw_block(WRITE) does async I/O only if it can.

ll_rw_block(WRITEA) was used to do _always_ async I/O (that's why I'm
saying WRITEA wouldn't had this problem) and it wasn't reliable. It was
going to be fine for the thing that we wanted to do from
try_to_free_buffers.

>The attached patch seems to fix it. With it I'm seeing higher

I think your patch is ok (thanks), however I'm not sure how much it will
affect the above scenario.

Andrea